A rigid design in a folding frame with a wide range of seat heights.
NEED HELP OR ADVICE?
Our Product Experts are here for you1-800-850-0335
The SpinLife Difference Includes:
Lifetime Limited Warranty
Made in the USA
- Seat to Floor Heights in ½” Increments
- Cross Brace Design Creates Better Rigidity and Durability
- Reclining Backrest Option
- “Between-The-Rails” Seat Design
- Lifetime Warranty for Legrests
The Catalyst 5 is Ki Mobility’s premier model in their folding frame option of wheelchairs. The Catalyst 5 from Ki Mobility is made from the ultra-light, high-strength 7000 series aluminum. This alloy dampens vibrations to provide a smoother and more comfortable ride. The 7000 series aluminum helps the Catalyst 5 to achieve a transport weight (frame, 5” poly casters, and upholstery) of just 12.8 lbs. and a standard weight of only 20.8 lbs. while still permitting up to a 300 lbs. weight capacity. Ki Mobility’s uniquely designed cross brace provides the feel of a rigid frame wheelchair with the convenience of a folding frame as well as long-term durability. The Catalyst line offers a Dual Interlocking Cross Brace. This design creates a frame that locks together so that it minimizes unwanted movement and maximizes the energy transferred in each of your pushes making your push as efficient as possible. The “Between-The-Rails” Seat Design has the seat frame tubing setting side-by-side rather than stacking them atop one another. Instead of the weight of the user resting on the cross brace the weight is transferred to the side frames. This prevents having to use heavy cross braces which add weight to other manufacturer’s wheelchairs. Even how the Catalyst 5 folds and unfolds is unique. A Power X-Hinge is an extending link from the frame to the cross brace that expands and contracts when the frame is opening or closing. The Power X-Hinge is so unique Ki Mobility has patented it. Another benefit of the Power X-Hinge is how it improves the frame’s structural integrity. The extending link provides the frame’s strength and rigidity rather than the seat upholstery. Wheelchairs from other manufacturers need the seat upholstery to create the tension for a solid feel. Unfortunately for other models the upholstery will sag over time and the frame will begin to feel loose. The Power X-Hinge works so well your Catalyst 5 will feel just as solid with or without the seat upholstery. Not to be forgotten are Ki Mobility’s one of a kind legrests. The legrests have a lifetime warranty but the functionality is what’s special. The legrests can be mounted or removed from any angle. No need to rotate all the way in or all the way out like those from other manufacturers. Personal positioning is also a feature of the Catalyst’s legrests with angle options of 60, 70, 80, and 90 degrees.
What Makes This Different
The Catalyst 5 has some features that separate it from the other models in the Catalyst lineup as well as other folding models from other manufacturers. The Universal Axle Plate is a primary feature of the Catalyst 5. The Universal Axle Plate allows you to select and set seat to floor heights in ½” increments. The Universal Axle Plates versatility also allows you to adjust your center of gravity over a 3” range. So can set your Catalyst 5 to easy to respond or steady and stable. A reclining backrest on an ultra-lightweight wheelchair is one-of-a-kind. The recline option offers a range of 0 to 65 degrees. The Catalyst 5 offers Ki’s brand-new wheel, the Maxx Performance Spoke. The rim is made of a 6061 aluminum with straight steel spokes with a black satin finish. The 18 steel spokes connect the high flange hub to the rim giving the Maxx Performance a highly rigid and responsive ride that gives you the most roll for every push you give it.
Why We Like It
Lightweight, durability, and unique features that are a result of pursuing new and innovative designs are all reasons to like the Catalyst 5. All three can be found on the Catalyst 5. The standout features are the Power X-Hinge, Universal Axle Plates, and Dual Interlocking Cross Brace which give the Catalyst 5 a rigid frame feel on a folding frame.
View Detailed Measurement Guide
- Seat Depth1
- Measure from the most posterior point of the body to the inside of the knee, minus at least two inches. Some prefer more leg overhang to make room for their hand when lifting their leg.
- Back Height2
- Measured from the seat base to the top of the wheelchair back. Depends on how much upper back support is needed, and also affects freedom for the upper body to rotate.
- Rear Seat to Floor3
- Measurement from the ground to the rear seat edge. Relative to the front seat-to-floor dimension, this determines the rearward slope ("dump" or "squeeze") of the wheelchair seat.
- Hanger Angle4
- Determines how far the toes extend away from the body, measured from the horizontal. A tighter angle allows the wheelchair to turn around in less space. Depends in part on ability of the knee to bend towards the perpendicular.
- Seat Width5
- Determined by the widest point of the body from knee to hip, plus an inch to ensure room to move. Consider bulk of clothing, particularly a heavy winter coat, if relevant.
- Wheel Camber6
- Angle of the wheel relative to the vertical. More camber improves stability and agility, but also limits ability to pass through narrow spaces. A typical daily wheelchair uses three degrees of camber.
- Front Seat to Floor7
- Measure the leg from the back of the knee to the sole of the foot. Then subtract the thickness of the cushion when it is compressed. Next, add a minimum of two inches for footrest clearance. Do not add the footrest clearance if the wheelchair will be foot-propelled.
- Footrest Width8
- Measure from the inside of each legrest tubing the distance or desired distance between legrests.
- Center of Gravity9
- Measure from the front of the seat back post to the center of the rear axel.
- Seat to Footrest Length10
- Measure from the edge of the seat upholstery to the top rear of the footrest.
- Backrest Angle11
- Measure the the angle of the back post to the floor. Ninety degrees will be perpendicular to the floor, to approximate the angle from the back post to the seat, subtract two degrees from measurment for every .5" of dump.
|Product Weight:||23 lbs.|
|Seat to Floor Heights:||13.5" to 21"|
|Front Seat to Floor Height:||13.5" to 21"|
|Rear Seat to Floor Height:||11" to 20"|
|Reclining Back Option:||Yes|
|Rear Wheel Size:||
|Pneumatic (air-filled) tire option:||Yes|
|One-Arm Drive Option:||Yes|
|Product Weight Range:||20 lbs to 30 lbs|
Approximate Shipping Dimensions and Weights
|Product Weight:||23 lbs.|
Limitations to the Warranty
1. We do not warrant:
a. Wear items: Upholstery, tires, armrest pads, tubes, armrests and push-handle grips.
b. Damage resulting from neglect, misuse or from improper installation or repair.
c. Damage from exceeding weight limit.
2. This warranty is VOID if the original chair serial number tag is removed or altered.
3. This warranty is VOID if the original chair has been modified from its original condition and it is determined that the modification resulted in failure.
4. This warranty applies in the USA and Canada only. Check with your supplier to find out if international warranties apply.
Ki Mobility’s Responsibility
Ki Mobility’s only liability is to replace or repair, at our discretion, the covered parts. There are no other remedies, expressed or implied.
a. Notify Ki Mobility, via an authorized supplier, prior to the end of the warranty period and get a return authorization (RA) for the return or repair of the covered parts.
b. Have the supplier send the authorized return, freight pre-paid, to:
5201 Woodward Drive
Stevens Point, WI 54481
c. Pay any charges for labor to repair or install parts.
This item is non-returnable for one of the following reasons:
- This item is custom-made by the manufacturer to suit your specific needs . Please review all specifications carefully before placing your order. Once production of your item has begun – the order is unable to be cancelled.
- For hygienic safety and per FDA regulations this item is non-returnable, even if unused.
- Once products are installed, the product is no longer returnable.
- Please inspect your product upon delivery. If the product is damaged or is not the correct product, please refuse the delivery. If your item was delivered without a signature and is damaged or incorrect please call SpinLife Customer Service.
If you have questions about this item please call a SpinLife Expert at 1-800-850-0335.